What is Perineoplasty?
Perineoplasty in common is the surgical procedure for restructuring the vaginal opening and the perineum for cosmetic purposes. It is primarily considered a type of plastic surgery procedure used to tighten the outward genital area, but there are some occasions where the procedure is executed to treat certain diseases and medical conditions. The specific procedure is also known as vaginal rejuvenation. This procedure is equally performed to loosen the muscles of the perineum.
The vagina comprises a cylindrical structure in the female reproductive system that typically links the vulva to the cervix. During intimate intercourse, it extends to accommodate the penis and stretches even more during childbirth. It also assists as a passageway for blood during menstruation. The perineum is precisely the specific area positioned between the vagina and the anus. It provides support to the pelvic floor and more importantly it adds to enhanced pleasure during intimate intercourse.
Who Should Undergo Perineoplasty:
Women can undergo Perineoplasty in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah including following indication:
- Women who experienced an episiotomy during childbirth – Episiotomy is a surgical cut made in the perineum to broaden the vagina and ease the delivery process. This aesthetic procedure can result in loosening of the skin and the feeling of a wide vagina. This can typically decrease the sexual satisfaction for both the partners. Some women opt to undergo this procedure to combat this problem.
- Women diagnosed with dyspareunia or painful sexual intercourse due to vaginismus or some bacterial infection. Vaginismus is caused by uncontrolled contraction of the vaginal muscles, invariably leading to pain during sexual penetration. The bacterial infection can knowingly cause extensive scarring and itching in the genital area. In some specific circumstances, patients also experience it agonizing to urinate. Another condition that causes painful sexual intercourse in common is the vulvar vestibulitis disorder. Its typical symptoms might include burning pain and mild inflammation in the vagina even hours after sex.
- Women with inherited condition called small vaginal introitus – The introitus is placed at the entrance to the vagina. It can adversely affect the patient’s quality of life if it is extremely compact or narrow. In some notable instances, the narrowed opening leads to Urinary tract infections. It can also cause painful sexual intercourse. Women with this specific condition can voluntarily undergo Perineoplasty to achieve precisely desired results.
- Women with rigid muscles in the perineum – This condition complicates the delivery process. In some cases, rigid perineum grows after an episiotomy wherein the muscles become harder as a consequence of the surgery. These patients may go for Perineoplasty to release the tightened sensation and to avoid labour difficulties.
- Women with a hymenal ring – This disorder can be accurately described by a thick hymen that causes pain and possible injury during sexual intercourse. It is also a crucial factor for tightness in the vaginal introitus.
How the Procedure is typically performed?
Perineoplasty in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah is a safe procedure with a high success rate. It is typically performed in an outpatient venue that allows patients to go home after the procedure. It results in improved sexual pleasure among women who experience looseness in the vagina and perineum. If done to improve a medical condition such as tightening of the tissues, Perineoplasty can provide relief from pain and discomfort related with the state of health.
The patient is provided local anaesthesia and placed properly to allow access to the vagina and the perineum area. The surgeon makes a V-shaped cut starting from the top of the vaginal surface, cutting through the vaginal mucosa and the perineum. The incision is continued across both sides of the hymenal ring and vaginal opening and ends just above the anus. The skin within this V-shaped cut is then carefully peeled back and removed, as required.
For the reconstruction procedure, the muscles are carefully joined back together along the vaginal surface. The fascia is also moved to carefully cover the reconstructed muscles by cutting away any excess skin and other tissues. A drain may be inserted to assist urination during the first few days after the surgery. Once the anticipated tightness or looseness is attained, the surgeon secures the surgical site neatly and precisely with the help of stitches. The objective is to represent the operating site to look like as normal as possible.
Some surgeons choose to use laser technology as an effective replacement for a scalpel for improved accuracy. They use a carbon dioxide laser in making the V-shaped incision, which is carefully closed with absorbable stitches after the procedure.
Possible Risks and Complications:
Every surgery involves some risks. Patients who undergo Perineoplasty are at risk of:
- Possible infection at the surgical site
- Inflammation and considerable swelling
- Mild pain
- Abnormal vaginal discharge with an unpleasant smell
- Leaking urine
- Disappointing results
Results and Post-Surgery Precautions:
Patients are instructed to rest for some days and prevent intimate contact until the surgical site has completely cured. Vaginal contact with chemical substances as well as vigorous physical activities should also be avoided. Most patients are also advised to undergo Physical therapy typically comprising of pelvic floor exercises after the procedure.