Lip surgeries have been very popular cosmetic procedures all over the world for the past few years. Patients who underwent Lip surgery reported great improvement in self-esteem and happiness. Further, they also outlined extreme satisfaction with the results they obtained.
Types of Lip Surgeries:
There are different lip surgeries available today. These include:
- Lip augmentation with fat grafting, tissue grafting or lip implants
- Lip reduction
- Cleft Lip repair
While the top two surgeries are done just for aesthetic reasons, the third one corrects medical issues too. E.g. cleft Lip repair can also fix eating, speech, and hearing problem associated with cleft lip.
A Complete Guide to Lip Surgery Recovery:
Prior to the surgery, it’s really important to learn what to expect after the operation and how long does it take for lip surgery to heal.
How long will it take to Fully Recovery?
Learning about the recovery phase can help you better prepare for what can be a bit complex and challenging experience. As everybody is unique, I cannot tell you the exact timeline. People with a strong immune system and good health status heal faster than those who are physically not well. However, most patients fully recover within two to three weeks after Lip Surgery. And following this phase, they will feel perfectly fine.
The initial consultation is very helpful here. The surgeon will assess your general health to give you a more exact timeline. Be honest with him in this session, otherwise, you may not be able to heal properly.
Tip for a Smooth Recovery:
- There are some side-effects that you will experience in the weeks following your Lip surgery. First and foremost, your lips will look swollen and bruised. Do not panic it’s normal, happens with every patient. Well, to reduce it, you can use pain relievers and other drugs. But it’s strongly recommended to contact the doctor before using any medication (either oral or topical)
- Remember that you cannot smoke a cigarette or drink alcohol after the surgery. This is because they both can maximize the post-op discomfort. Resume these activities only if your surgeon allows you to.
- You need to drink plenty of water to keep the skin, especially of the lips, hydrated. In general, 6-8 glasses of water are essential.
- Ice bags can also help you alleviate the post-treatment side-effects.
- Limit Salt-intake as it may lead to dehydration
- You should avoid strenuous exercises for at least seven days following the treatment since the skin will be extremely sensitive
- Eat foods that are easy to digest as well as chew
- You are not allowed to take vitamin E supplements because they can maximize the swelling and bruising.
- Don’t use makeup products on the lips right after the surgery
- Avoid getting facial massages for at least a month
- Time off from work is not the same for every patient. However, it’s normally preferred to take two to three days off.
- For at least a month, do not expose the treatment site to bright sunlight
- Regarding activities, you may want to resume household chores. Simple activities allowed but vigorous activities must be avoided for some days
- If possible, stay with a friend or family so that he/she can assist you in recovery following lip surgery.
Several follow-up sessions are required in the months following the operation. The doctor will assess the healing progress and check how long the treatment has proceeded.
Typically, patients are fully cleared to continue all kinds of activities, even the vigorous ones, after two to three months. However, it’s worth following the instructions of the surgeon properly so that the incisions fill soon, the wounds heal properly and there are no complications at all.
If your lip surgery was done under any anesthesia, it’s most likely that you will experience dizziness, swelling, bruising, and pain in the face, especially around the mouth. But the good news is that these side-effects will wear off within 3 to 4 hours
After the first few days (almost a week), there will be no pain in your mouth but a small amount of swelling may reside. For swelling, you should be extra careful. Doctors advise to highly avoid strenuous activities, smoking, and drinking in this period.
Ultimately, you will be fully recovered in a matter of days. Most probably, it will take fourteen days only. Enjoy perfectly shaped lips and increased self-confidence once fully healed.
Is Lip Surgery Worth it?
There is no certain answer to this question. Why? As a general rule, Lip surgery is safe and effective only if an experienced surgeon is carrying it out. Otherwise, there is a chance that your health will extremely deteriorate after the surgery.
If the surgeon performing Lip surgery is highly skilled and experience, then don’t worry about the complications at all. There will be no long-term side-effects after having the procedure. However, short term side-effects may appear, Common ones are:
- Minimal scarring
Most of them are mild, so they should fade within 48 hours.
Well, in case you experience lip asymmetry, bumps, excessive bleeding, or long-term scars, you need to contact the service provider promptly.
Are You Ready?
With extensive knowledge about the recovery process, you can have lip reduction surgery with more confidence. Further, it will assist you in better manage the enhanced face resulted from the operation
I assume that now you fully understand how long does it take for lip surgery to heal in Dubai. But still, for answers to other questions, consultation with a board-certified surgeon surely can help. So, book your appointment at Dynamic clinic today.