It is a congenital anomaly that usually happens due to incomplete development of a child’s mouth during pregnancy. With this birth defect, a baby is born with a hole in the roof of the mouth. It can be caused due to a combination of genes or various environmental factors including smoking, alcohol, drug intake, radiation, or infection. According to a survey, it was found that 20% of birth defects are caused due to genetic factors. Cleft palate is the most common type of birth defect and it is believed that 1 out of every 800 babies is born with cleft palate every year.
It is both a cosmetic and a medical problem as it not only alters the physical appearance but also makes it difficult for a child to speak and eat. Babies with Palate Repair Surgery in Dubai & Abu Dhabi, sometimes also experience deafness and ear infections due to it. Fortunately, this birth defect can be fixed. If your child has cleft palate then you can consider our palate repair surgery in Dubai to close the opening in the roof of the mouth. It is best to have this birth defect repaired between nine to twelve months of age.
Palatoplasty – Palate Repair Surgery:
Palatoplasty is the surgery that has been invented to fix the problem of cleft palate. In this surgery, the opening between the mouth and nose is carefully closed to let the palate work properly. The doctor adjusts the muscles of the soft palate so that they can work well for speech. The procedure may take 3-5 hours for completion depending upon the technique used to repair the defect. General anesthesia is generally required to keep the baby sound asleep during the whole operation. The child has to stay in the hospital for at least one or two nights after having the surgery.
Preparing for the Surgery:
Here are some instructions that will help you safely prepare for the child’s palate surgery.
- Don’t give aspirin, ibuprofen or any other blood-thinning medication to the child as they can cause bleeding problems after the surgery
- Before the surgery, make sure that your child is not exposed to any other illness including flue, chickenpox, dehydration, etc.
- Tell the doctor about your child’s overall health, allergies, past surgeries, and medications
- Give a bath to your child before bringing him/her to the hospital for the surgery
The surgery – Procedure Steps:
The Palate Repair Surgery in Dubai is started by giving general anesthesia to the child to let him/her stay asleep throughout the operation. In the next step, a device is placed in the mouth to keep it wide open to perform the remaining surgery. An incision is made on either side of the palate along the cleft and the tissues and inner muscles are repositioned to close the opening and rebuild the palate. In the end, the inner and outer layers of tissues are closed with sutures to complete the operation.
What to expect after the surgery?
Your child will experience some pain and swelling for the next few days after the surgery. Mild bleeding is normal and it will settle down itself.
- Increase liquid intake of your child for two to three weeks after the surgery to let him stay hydrated
- You can give your child prescribed pain medication and antibiotics to reduce the pain and recover fast
- If you see your child experiencing high fever, difficulty in breathing, dehydration or severe bleeding then call the surgeon right away
Book an Appointment:
At Dynamic clinic, most of the babies with cleft palate are treated successfully without complications. So, if you are interested in this Palate Repair Surgery in Dubai & Abu Dhabi, contact us immediately by filling out the consultation form.