In DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction “DIEP” stands for deep inferior epigastric perforator. It is not available at all the hospitals, there are very few surgeons who offer it. It is another important type of breast reconstruction surgery which is done to rebuild the breast. After mastectomy, skin and fat from buttocks, belly, back or lower abdomen is removed and conveyed into the chest for reconstructing it. Before undergoing the surgery make sure your surgeon is qualified and experienced. Majority of women get this treatment to enjoy the added benefit of providing leveled and flatter abdomen.
Aim of DIEP Flap Surgery:
You can get this treatment if your breast has been removed because you had cancer or mastectomy. When you are done with mastectomy, a tissue expander is placed and after a few months rebuilding of breasts can be done. In simple words, DIEP flap surgery involves the removal of fat from different body parts and then using this removed fat for breast reconstruction.
Not all the women are suitable for this procedure, it can cause some serious problems for them. You are not a good candidate of DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah if,
- You do not have sufficient belly fat to be extracted
- Your abdominal vessels are not perfectly located or if they are very small
- You had Prior abdominal surgeries
- You are planning on getting pregnant
You are a right prospect of DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction if,
- Your age is above 18
- Currently, you are not pregnant or breast-feeding
- You are physically and mentally stable
Surgeons adopt different techniques to get the best results of the DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction. The most common one involves the removal of flap from the abdomen region and placing it at the site of mastectomy. The procedure of DIEP flap surgery has 3 different phases,
The procedure begins with fold microsurgery. The fold from mid-region is taken out and placed on the site of mastectomy. In this process, the surgeon makes an effort to keep the flap removed from the abdomen alive. The reconstruction of one bosom takes 4 hours and of two takes 6 to 8 hours.
In this stage, corrective surgery is performed on the flap harvested in the previous stage. It is done for cosmetic reasons. The surgeon carries out this process after 2 to 3 months of the main surgery.
The steps of this phase can likewise be joined with the methodology of phase 2. This stage includes the reconstruction of nipples. After around one and a half month of nipple reconstruction, you are advised to visit your specialist for the final touch.
Before the surgery:
- Avoid taking blood-thinners such as aspirin, Clopidogrel because they can slow down the healing process. You are allowed to take Tylenol.
- Talk with your surgical team to complete your pre-operative testing and make sure all your lab tests are done
- Make sure your surgeon has received copies of your medical record
- Plan for a three-night stay in the hospital after getting the surgery.
After the surgery:
- You will be monitored by the hospital staff for 3 to 4 days after the surgery. So stay there.
- Do not drive or do exercise for at least a month or 2
- If you experience itchiness on the treated site it is okay for you to take a Benadryl
- You may have nausea or vomiting following the surgery in that situation you are advised to take the prescribed pill with sips of clear liquid and remain still until you feel better.
Results and Benefits:
The treatment delivers natural and long-lasting results. You can consider DIEP Flap surgery to rebuild your bosoms after mastectomy. It provides some aesthetic benefits as well such as it generates a flat and leveled stomach. Some other benefits are listed below,
- The surgery involves less pain and discomfort as compared to TRAM flap
- Reduces the risk of bulge and hernia
- It is safe because the patient’s own fat and skin is used in this treatment
- No serious side-effects are associated with it
- Delivers permanent and prolonged results
- It also improves the contour of the abdomen region
- It produces more natural results as compared to that of breast implants
- It shields the rectums muscle
Is it possible to have DIEP Flap surgery with Mastectomy?
The answer is “Yes”. Effective and long-lasting results can be obtained by performing both the surgeries together. The surgical time will remain the same because the breast surgeon and the reconstructive surgeons work on the patient at the same time.
Like all the other surgeries, DIEP flap surgery also has some side-effects associated with it. You will require a few days to fully recover after the treatment. You might experience weakness in the lower abdomen for 3 to 4 days.
You can rebuild your breast region permanently by DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah at an affordable cost without suffering from botched results. Feel free to contact Dynamic Clinic by filling in our online consultation form. We ensure you that you will be completely satisfied after consulting us.